Monday 5 November 2012

What's that smell?

So this weekend I took a break. I went to the mall (something I haven’t done in months) and shopped. After spending 30 minutes in Bath and Body Works smelling every single product to find the perfect new body wash, I realized something. The simple act of using one of our five senses, scents, is extremely soothing. So naturally, I thought that I’d share this Eureka moment with my bloggers. Next time you’re feeling uptight, head to the nearest Bath and Body Works, David’s Tea, Fruits and Passion, the Body Shop and SMELL. I’m serious! Whether it’s tea, candles, perfume, body wash, soap- this simple act of smelling these wonderful scents may be your cure to your mid-semester-why-is-it-so-cold-I-really-don’t-want-to-study blues. Here’s some extra info on the effects specific scents can have on you:
  • Chamomile- Calming and soothing. Eases anger and anxiety
  • Clary Sage- Relaxing, euphoric. Eases anxiety, tension and stress
  • Eucalyptus- Fresh, cooling and invigorating. Promotes alertness
  • Jasmine- Alleviates anxiety and depression
  • Lavender- Calming. Helps relieve some forms of pain
  • Lemon- Refreshing and energizing. Eases tension and heightens mental clarity
  • Mandarin- Relaxing and calming. Relieves insomnia
  • Neroli/Orange Blossom: Relieves stress, anxiety and imsomnia
  • Peppermint- Refreshing and stimulating. Increases alertness, relieves pain, indigestion, nausea and headaches
  • Rosemary- A stimulant that promotes mental clarity and alertness
  • Sandalwood- Warm, sensual aroma. Euphoric and seductive
  • Ylang-yland- Alleviates anger, anxiety and stress

So the next time you have a long study session ahead of you, make yourself some delicious smelling tea and light a nice-smelling candle. Trust me, a simple scent can make you feel much better. My personal recommendations are Peach Bellini and Holiday candles from Bath and Body Works, as well as Calm tea from Starbucks. I also put an AirWick freshener in my room to keep it smelling fresh and clean. What scents do you recommend?

Happy Smelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment